Sunday, July 24, 2005

Ritalin/Concerta Dangers

An extract from an article by Dennis L. Cuddy, Ph.D.
July 11, 2005
NewsWithViews.com
I mentioned dangers associated with youth taking certain powerful drugs prescribed for mental health disorders. Since then, THE NEW YORK TIMES on July 1, 2005 published "Report of Ritalin Risks Prompts a Federal Study" relating that a U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisory committee had just been "called to examine the most recent reports of adverse events among children taking Concerta, a long-acting form of Ritalin. The committee found nothing new or unusual about the reports, which included cases of children who had become psychotic and others who had developed heart problems....Among the mental side effects reported among children taking Concerta were hallucinations, thoughts of suicide, psychotic behaviors and aggression....The most common side effects of Ritalin, Concerta and similar drugs are appetite suppression, headaches, abdominal pain and sleep disturbances. Children who take these drugs chronically often weigh less and are shorter in stature as a result."

There is some good news in this area, though, as Rob Hotakainen and Melissa Lee in "New law: Schools can't force meds on kids" (Minneapolis STAR-TRIBUNE, July 3, 2005) informed their readers that "as of Friday (July 1), schools no longer have the upper hand in deciding whether children should be given Ritalin or other controlled substances. A new federal law (Individuals With Disabilities in Education Act---IDEA) tilts that power to parents, banning states and schools from keeping students out of class in cases when parents disagree with a recommendation to medicate a child....Schools will have plenty of incentive to comply with the new law: Congress is threatening to block federal aid to schools that try to force medication on students against the wishes of their parents."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Concerta Side Effects said...

My name is Irene Pak and i would like to show you my personal experience with Concerta.

I am 60 years old. I have been taking concerta for three days now. So far it is wonderful. I was previously on ritalin for 2 months, and felt like I was on rollercoaster. I would go from jittery to severly depressed and crying. After changing to concerta three days ago, I feel like myself again, only with much more energy focus and concentration. I am sure hoping this will continue. I am on 36mg.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
mild headache, dry mouth, some affect on sleep

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Irene Pak

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home